Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chasing Ghosts

Today, I was driving down that long, sometimes short strip of highway that takes you from the part of town leading to liberty, to that side of town that goes to Georgia.
And shortly after passing the hotdog store, you know, the one that always has people dressed up in that hot, sweat inducing corny looking hot dog suit, dancing
and waving
at you
as if their antics are actually enough to make you take that right turn up into the parking lot,
get out of your air conditioned car
to eat their corny looking lil hotdogs filled with poison.
Nah, me, I always just toot my horn, and keep right on moving.

So, shortly after passing the hotdog store, I see this person; Black,
about 5’7”
white, purple stripped jersey
and some white shorts.
Short shorts
revealing 3 quarters length of the legs.

And the walk, was a mixture of, “ssssh, I know I’m cute
and a walk similar to that of a person suffering from paranoia.
The hair style was short
looked like the curl Faye put in her head.
trying to escape the programming of the perm
incapable of seeing that they were all the same
killing the naturally connecting coils…
You know; naps,
that what you like to call them.

Short, curl styled hair…
and finally I made it to his eyes, 17 years older than his physique portrayed.
Black
like the soles of the shows on my feet,
were the bottom of his eye lids.
Looked like the eyes of a man
who just took that one chance
that lead to more roads of the ghost he was trying to grab hold of.
His mind so blown that
he walks with a switch better than mine,
with just a hint of stank,
to let you know that even thought he may be mistaken for a ooooooo
he will jack
up
ya grill
with the incomprehensible strength of the hulk.
Mind
so
blown,
running.
Chasing ghosts.

Made me think of which ghosts I’m chasing
instead of trying to pity
him.
Looked at me, driving down the street
pretending I have it all together.
When the truth is at times, I don’t know
whether I want to stay
or to leave.
Have Scottie beam me up
because this world
does not belong to me.

Feeling as if I keep waking up, only to have the same dream…
9-5
9-5
9-5
and the hours in between, not much work done so it seems that I am roaming around aimlessly…
like, the guy on bypass 28
running from legions
chasing his ghosts in the streets
chasing my ghosts, continuing to live life asleep
running
from legions…
Chasing…. ghosts.

© 2010 Enigma

1 comment:

  1. I like that this piece moves through time, a workday....a lifetime...driving from one place to the other. This piece also made me think about the ghosts I'm chasing..or sometimes the ghosts that are chasing me...
    ~Nicely written~

    ReplyDelete